As a Noun:
1. A person or thing that takes the place of someone or something else. English = replacement, substitute.
As a Verb or Adjective:
1. To add something to something.
2. To bring a person or thing into a situation to take the place of someone or something else. English = replace, substitute.
3. To bring a person into a situation because they are needed, for example an interpreter into a court; to provide a particular person with particular skills.
4. To make a story or account more interesting by adding details which are possibly untrue. English = embellish.