As a Noun:
1. An instrument that you use for finding directions. It has a dial and a magnetic needle that always points to the north. English = compass.
2. An instrument such as a clock or meter that shows you the amount or measurement of something. English = dial, meter, gauge.
3. On an instrument such as a clock, meter, or compass, the indicator which shows you the time, measurement or direction. English = dial, needle.
As a Verb or Adjective:
1. To use a compass to determine the direction of north and, hence, the other compass points.
2. Of a dial or gauge, to move to and fro, to oscillate.