As a Noun:
1. The act of putting one person or thing in the place of another person or thing. English = substitution, replacement.
2. The person or thing that takes the place of or performs the function of a second person or thing. English = substitute, replacement.
As a Verb or Adjective:
1. For one person or thing to take the place of or perform the function of a second person or thing. English = substitute, replace. Idiomatic English = put in the place of.
2. To use one thing instead of a second thing. English = substitute, replace.
1. Used between the signs for two things or the names of two people, between two actions, or between two times, to mean the first happens rather than the second. English = instead of, in the place of.
2. Used at the beginning of a sentence to mean the action or the thing discussed in the sentence happens rather than something else which has just recently been talked about. English = instead.